Friday, May 23, 2008

The Kite Runner




This month I was the hostess for our neighborhood book club. I had never read this book and didn't know much about it but chose it anyway. It was a hard book to read, but so good. It was interesting to read about the modern history of Afganistan, specically the Russion invasion and the rule of the Taliban. The book was well written and story was almost haunting. It's a chilling story that will stay with me, but a book I don't think I could read again.

It was a great book to discuss in a book group. And after venting about all the saddness of the story I realized how it was great story about father/son relationships. Hassan, who was abused and discriminated against survived because of the love and relationship he had with his father and then later as a father. So much to talk about with this book, so many details. I hope you read it...

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I really enjoyed this book too. His other book A Thousand Splended Sons is good too. In fact I think I liked it more. So... when are we getting together? I miss you.

Deacon Pat said...

I just watched the movie....what a great story, I bet the book is even better.....

God's peace....

The Mathews Family said...

I hosted a book club on this book a couple of years ago. It is such an amazing book- lots of gut wrenching lots of emotion and fear- LOVE it! I have yet to see the movie or read the next book, but I plan to! When I hosted, I made all the food that was mentioned in the book- Tabouli, Naan, and Falafel... all hand made! It really made the whole experience come to life!